Sunday, March 18, 2012

Android-x86 - the Linux Desktop for the Masses

Some moths ago I ordered the cheapest Asus EeePC, the X101. It has no LAN port and no hard disk. It came preinstalled with the dead Meego OS. I replaced it with Ubuntu successfully.

Two weeks ago I decided to replace Ubuntu with the release candidate of Android-x86. It works out of the box on most Asus netbooks.

The performance of my Xoom tablet feels slower than Android-x86 on the X101. Android-x86 is based on Android 4 and comes with most of the standard Android apps (mail, calendar, music player).

Some further apps are easy to install from GooglePlay (the former Google market):
  • DropBox
  • Radio.de
  • IM+ (commercial instant messenger)
  • Google Reader
  • Google Maps
  • Tagesschau
  • Audible
  • Kindle reader
The most apps are working. Some of the are starting with rotated screen, which makes the useless. Some others are not listed in GooglePlay. The Kindle app has problems when you try to turn over a page. Native keyboards are obviously not supported yet. Switching to a German layout did not work for me.

The overall impression of Android-x86 is a very good option for netbooks in my opinion. I think it will bring Linux finally to the masses!

No comments: